Sunday 15 November 2015

Tips For Catching Up in NaNoWriMo

Yesterday we hit the half way point in NaNoWriMo. For everyone who is up to date with their word count, that means you have already reached 25K! Congratulations! But for others, I know that is sadly not the case for countless reasons. I just happen to be one of those people this year. So I thought I would make a second guide to NaNoWriMo for those who are running behind and need some help. Have a look at my first NaNo Survival Guide.



Point One: Don't be afraid to use cliches. 

When you are having writers block, and you are over 10K behind, there does come a point where anything is better than nothing. Disclaimer: Remember that this is your first draft, you're not set in stone when this draft is done. And me being a hard core perfectionist, knows the struggle to try everything to avoid using cliches. 

But in this case; you might want to reconsider. If you know some sort of cliche scene, subplot, or character will help with enhance your word count and keep your story flowing, then go straight ahead and use it. It will be painful for the time being, but don't worry *whispers* first draft.
(you might even be able to put your very own twist on it.)


Point Two: Reap the Inspiration From Anywhere. 

Similar to point one. I have been doing this over the course of NaNoWriMo this year. Get inspiration from anything and everything. Watch movie trailers, Watch Music Videos, Read books in your genre, go on Tumblr, go on Pinterest, remember stories people have told you.


Point Three: See a Scene, Write a Scene. 

Anything that comes to mind; write the scene down. And if you are lucky, expand it. I have my novel's word count, and I have a document for story parts word count. I have to add them together ever time I had more words.


Point Four: Back Story.

When you don't know what to write going forward. Then why not write some back story to fill in the space. This is amazing for word count, and helps flesh out characters more.


Point Five: Participate in Word Wars, and Writing Sprints.

These are very good if you are into competition, and getting yourself writing for a good amount of time without stopping. (I have been doing this a lot this year. I need the help.)

Point Six: It's Alright to Take a Step Back.

Don't push it. Take a break, and try and not hate your story to much. Cause that never helped anyone.


So this post was random. But I'll live with it. I just wanted to share what has been working for me. I am very, very, very behind this year. I almost gave up on writing this story. But stuck with it... was a hard decision...

-Rachy

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! This is my first year doing NaNo, so I've been looking for all the advice I can get. Right now I'm at 35k words...but I'm also almost finished with my novel (just a few more key scenes left). EEP! Do you have any ideas for things I could do to flesh out my story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you found something out of it.

      This is my second year. I am very behind. I don't know if I am going to make it this year. For me I have been adding a lot of back story. Random scenes. Sometimes you just need to let your character talk a little, just about them, the situation and what ever is going on. Don't be afraid to just ramble for word count. :)

      Delete